VirtualOT

My photo
Australia
I am an Australian occupational therapist, educator and researcher. I have worked as an OT in mental health, vocational rehabilitation and a private surgical hospital. I am passionate using online technology to enhance the knowledge and growth of the occupational therapy profession. In my PhD research I am looking at the role of online technologies in information management and knowledge transfer in occupational therapy. Views expressed and stories shared on this blog are my opinion and do not represent views of my employer or professional registration body.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

AT+ICT+sharing knowledge=Enhanced OT

The link between Assistive Technology (ie: technology that enables the person to have a better fit with their environment) and ICT (information computer technology) means that OT (occupational therapy) can offer more options to people wanting increased independence, funtion or "connectivity" with the world. In this area OTs are overlapping with IT people, engineers, technolgy designers and so on... this is a growth area of specialty.

There are many students coming through OT education programs with highly developed skills and knowledge in ICT and can enhance OT's knowledge in this area. Joan G. one of our first year Masters in OT students at the UofA has skills and experience in this area and sent me these links today:
Assistive Technology Wiki

Assitive Technology Blog

1 comment:

Kate said...

I agree with using IT more within OT. as like you said the students coming through now have much more experience with ICT and we know the beneifts that the internet in particular can give. it can help the clients that we deal with, with small things such as shopping etc. like this blog!!

My slideshare uploads