VirtualOT

My photo
Australia
I am an Australian occupational therapist, educator and researcher. I have worked as an OT in mental health, vocational rehabilitation and a private surgical hospital. I am passionate using online technology to enhance the knowledge and growth of the occupational therapy profession. In my PhD research I am looking at the role of online technologies in information management and knowledge transfer in occupational therapy. Views expressed and stories shared on this blog are my opinion and do not represent views of my employer or professional registration body.

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Disability is Natural Website

While preparing for a course with first year OT students I "Googled" the term "people first language". I stumbled across Kathy Snow's website called Disability is Natural and read her downloadable document about people first language.

I asked for Kathy's permission to use this in teaching and she was happy to help me spread this information to help inform future health care practitioners that person first language is NOT about political correctness, but about respect and dignity.

Another downloadable document puts forward Kathy's case against the term "Special Needs". This is also very clearly written.

This is yet another example of the power of the internet as a tool for education.

No comments:

My slideshare uploads